Enrol Now

Brief History of the School

The Polish School in Canberra is one of the oldest language schools in this city.  The school was established by the first generation of Polish migrants who came to Australia after the end of the World War II in 1945. Most of them were soldiers who fought for the freedom of Poland. When the war ended, many soldiers never accepted Poland under the Soviet control and started migrating to many free countries around the world, including Australia.  They had very strong emotional links with Poland and were passionate about their language and culture. They established the first ethnic school in the ACT in 1953;  the Polish Ethnic School located in Turner.

 

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s an influx of Polish immigration increased the language education requirement and it became clear that the Polish Ethnic School in Turner could not sustain the demand.  As a result, the Polish Language School was established.

The school opened in Phillip College (now called Canberra College) on 22 March 1985 with 48 students and 4 teachers. In 1989 the school reached a long term goal and obtained formal accreditation from the Board of Senior Secondary Studies (BSSS) for Year 11 and 12 studies.

All this has been made possible thanks to the founding father of the Polish School Canberra, Czeslaw Rudowicz. Special mention should also be made to the many teachers and administrative team members (too numerous to mention) who have made a significant contribution to the school over the years. The school also recognises the continuing support of the Department of Education and the local Canberra Polish community at large.

 

In 2018 the school changed its name to Polish School Canberra. The governance of the Polish School Canberra is ensured by the stewardship under the umbrella of the Council of Polish Organisations in the ACT.  The school continues to be a not-for-profit organisation and the all income received from the fees go directly to the school and its objective.

Like Us On Facebook

Facebook Pagelike Widget

The Polish School in Canberra is one of the oldest language schools in this city.  The school was established by the first generation of Polish migrants who came to Australia after the end of the World War II in 1945. Most of them were soldiers who fought for the freedom of Poland. When the war ended, many soldiers never accepted Poland under the Soviet control and started migrating to many free countries around the world, including Australia.  They had very strong emotional links with Poland and were passionate about their language and culture. They established the first ethnic school in the ACT in 1953;  the Polish Ethnic School located in Turner.

 

 

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s an influx of Polish immigration increased the language education requirement and it became clear that the Polish Ethnic School in Turner could not sustain the demand.  As a result, the Polish Language School was established.

The school opened in Phillip College (now called Canberra College) on 22 March 1985 with 48 students and 4 teachers. In 1989 the school reached a long term goal and obtained formal accreditation from the Board of Senior Secondary Studies (BSSS) for Year 11 and 12 studies.

All this has been made possible thanks to the founding father of the Polish School Canberra, Czeslaw Rudowicz. Special mention should also be made to the many teachers and administrative team members (too numerous to mention) who have made a significant contribution to the school over the years. The school also recognises the continuing support of the Department of Education and the local Canberra Polish community at large.

 

In 2018 the school changed its name to Polish School Canberra. The governance of the Polish School Canberra is ensured by the stewardship under the umbrella of the Council of Polish Organisations in the ACT.  The school continues to be a not-for-profit organisation and the all income received from the fees go directly to the school and its objective.

Like Us On Facebook

Facebook Pagelike Widget

Call Us or Fill in this Contact Form and we will be in touch very soon:

  0434 830 346

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.